31 Jul Simple Steps to Make a Yummy and Healthy Trail Mix
Who doesn’t love cardamom trail mix?
Trail mix is a healthy snack that is loaded with healthy fats and nutrients from nuts and dried fruits. Most of the kids loves trail mix because they can add their favorite foods on it like chocolate chips, bits of caramel cookies, M&M’s, chocolate-coated raisins, and etc.
You can buy trail mix from the supermarket and online stores, however, most of them are loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients. So to make sure that you’re trail mix is much healthier, you can try making this super yummy snacks right at your kitchen.
How to Make Trail Mix
In order to make this healthy snack, you’ll be needing the following main ingredients:
- Nuts – Raw nuts are the best. You can eat them raw or fried and roasted them if you prefer a salted one.
- Seeds – Add some seeds on your trail mix, seeds have a lot of benefits too. Don’t add chia and flax seeds into it, because they’re so small. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are the best option.
- Dried Fruits – If you want your trail mix to taste sweet, add a little bit of sweet dried fruit on your mix. It can be raisins, cherries, cranberries or apricots. Don’t forget to sprinkle some sea salt on your mix to add a delicious taste on it.
- Chocolate – Always avoid milk chocolate chips that are usually loaded with sugar. Remember, sugar is not healthy. Instead, you may use dark chocolate chips that have 70% cocoa.
- Add-ons – You may use organic popcorn, rice crackers, or oats to add some fun. Avoid using add-ons that have a lot of artificial ingredients on it. It is best if you stick on the organic one.
Mix and Match Detailed Ingredients
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- ¾ cup raw cashew nuts
- 5 raw chopped Brazil nuts
- 2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds (salted optional)
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2/3 cup air-popped popcorn (salted optional)
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened dried cherries and raisins
- 2 tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- Pinch of sea salt
Trail Mixing Instructions
Make sure that nuts and other seeds have the same size, chopped them to achieve this. Sprinkle some sea salt to dried cherries and raisins, and after that sprinkle some also on the trail mix. Lastly, combine all the yummy ingredients on a bowl and enjoy!
The mix can last up to 2 weeks in an airtight container, put them on the fridge if you prefer a chilled trail mix.